Posted by Becky
I was tagged weeks (months?) ago by Leah over at More Ways to Waste Time and unfortunately I never got around to posting the 8 Things About Me meme that she tagged me with. It's not that I didn't want to. I tried, a couple of times. But the computer wouldn't post. Or Word crashed and I lost what I was putting together. Or ... I was incredibly busy and didn't want to think about it because I realize it's damn hard to come up with 8 interesting things to say about oneself. During the course of this exercise I realized I'm a pretty boring person. I wish I had something cooler to add.
8 Interesting Facts/Habits about Me/Us:
- We met when we were 18 and 19 years old at a drunken fraternity party in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We’ve been together – without breaking up for even a day – ever since. Our first “date” was a group date at Froggy’s in downtown Pittsburgh and I paid for myself. I used the last $20 I had to my name to go out. I couldn’t do laundry for weeks, so instead I opened a credit card and bought new clothes.
- I used to hate ethnic food. When Alan and I first met, my idea of Chinese food was sweet & sour chicken and I would NOT eat sushi. I likened pickled ginger to Lysol. Today, dim sum and sushi are some of my favorites.
- I’m only 30 and seemingly, every part of my body hurts at one point or another during the course of the day. Today, my knees, ankles, and calves are killing me. As are my sinuses. I wouldn’t say that I’m a hypochondriac so much as I’m just very poorly put together.
- I love singing but I have absolutely no talent for it whatsoever. In seventh grade choir, my teacher asked me NOT to sign up again in eighth grade.
- I have, unfortunately, a rather keen sense of smell. Sadly, this means that when people don’t wash their hair, I can smell what I call dirty head. It’s disgusting. It is also one of the reasons why I can’t be crowded into a space with no fresh air. The Sistine Chapel nearly killed me. There were tourists all packed up against one another and everywhere I turned, the smell hit me like a wave. Of course, in my defense, most of these people had greasy, dandruff-laden hair so it would be hard NOT to smell it.
- Along those lines, I’m somewhat claustrophobic. If my hands aren’t accessible, my feet have to be and vice versa. I can’t have my legs bound at all. Once, we went on a camping trip with our friends in a small Audi hatchback. I sat in the back with Alan and a large bowl of rising bread dough on my lap. It was one of the most excruciating 3 hours of my life, not being able to move my legs around.
- Due to crazy family politics, I no longer speak with my dad or my stepmom. I don’t much like them as humans and I believe the feeling is mutual. I find them to be lying turds and they find me stuck-up and snobbish. We’re probably both right.
- We almost didn’t even look at the house that is now casacaudill. During the course of our house hunt, we checked out another house 3 or 4 blocks away and decided the neighborhood was just far too ghetto (which, it turns out, it is). A few weeks later, I saw pics of the house online, thought the price was fantastic (by Oakland standards, not any other sane city, mind you), and then talked Alan into at least driving by. We did, and decided to come back later during the open house. That was Sunday. By Tuesday night the house was ours.